Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Advent Conspiracy

Thanksgiving is over and Christmas is right around the corner. Black Friday has come and gone and a man was trampled to death for a meager 3% increase in sales. But it's okay, because that flat screen TV was worth it - only $499! Thank you, Jesus, for being born so that I could get that great deal on my plasma TV!

I'll be the first to admit, I was out bright and early Friday morning. I even went to Wal-mart - some movies I wanted were really cheap and I had to take a movie back to Redbox. I stood there and watched the people ready to pounce and listened to the countdown. 3. 2. 1. Go!!! There was a frenzy - over $10 blocks. Now, I really, really like a good deal, but it's not a life or death situation. Most things I buy are really cheap anyway since they've already been used. But, I was more than willing to get up at 4 in the morning to shop kid-free for a couple of hours; that kind of free time is very rare. I came home with a few good deals, mostly sewing notions, yarn and socks. However, the most useful thing I returned with was a realization that the long lines of people increasing their credit card debt was not what God had in mind when he sent his son to earth.

Black Friday was an eye-opener for me. Our idea of Christmas has become greatly distorted. I've heard the phrase many times, "Christmas just won't be very big this year." No, there just won't be very many gifts this year. There is a huge difference. Christmas itself is not about the number of presents under the tree. It's not about bonuses or work parties. It's about, you got it, Christ. The first five letters reveal it all, yet he seems to be completely forgotten in the chaos.

The other day Isaac asked me why we give presents for Christmas. "Well, it's Jesus' birthday so we give presents, um, to each other because...um, wise men. And...I'm not really sure buddy." Christmas does not equal consumerism. This year, try making gifts for each other. Give things that will be used, even if it's a package of underwear and a few pairs of socks. Offer your time or teach someone a valuable skill. Spend time with your family. Teach your kids how to give. Share your presence.

A few years ago some pastors realized this and began the Advent Conspiracy. Check it out. Make a new tradition.

1 comment:

Shellie Gray said...

Mom and I started at 5:30 and did not make it home until 11:30 pm! I love it, we do it every year!