Monday, September 29, 2008

Insomnia

I envy my husband. The man can sleep anywhere, anytime. As soon as his head hits the pillow, I have anywhere from 3-5 minutes to talk to him before I hear the steady, slow breathing of a sleeping man. Same story if we have a few minutes to ourselves on the couch. When we go to visit his parents I drive and he sleeps. When we go anywhere that's more than five minutes from our house I drive and he sleeps. When he drives, I don't sleep. I sit there, thinking that if I just keep my eyes closed I'll fall asleep. It can be quite frustrating at times. For instance, bedtime is about the only time that we can talk without any interruptions. With him being so busy, it's almost the only alone-time we get together. But, alas, it is usually short-lived because he falls asleep, mid-sentence, about 5 minutes after we get in bed. Oh, I wish I could sleep that easily. I've always had the opposite problem. Take last night, for instance; I stayed up really late because I had some caffeinated tea at about 3 pm (the man can drink a Rockstar and sleep like a baby an hour later. If I even think about a Pepsi after noon I'm doomed to be up until at least midnight). I was finally tired enough to hit the sack around 1 am. Then I just lay there, thinking. Then I thought some more and my mind went off on all sorts of crazy tangents... "I should write a book. About what? I don't know, something good. Man, I really have a lot of laundry to do tomorrow. The house is a mess. My hair is in my face again, I should put it back in a ponytail. Well, if I do that it's uncomfortable to sleep on my back. My hair is really soft. I want some more of that grape juice my dad made." And so it went, on and on and on. When I finally fell asleep, I couldn't stay asleep. I must have woken up six times and then struggled to fall asleep again until Eva decided she wanted to sit in bed and talk to herself at 6:30. So I got up and got her some milk and tried to go back to sleep. It was then that I started thinking about that laundry again. So I got up and started some laundry and then tried to go back to sleep. No luck. I reached the point where I was so tired I couldn't sleep. The problem is that I think too much. My husband on the other hand, has the wonderful ability to turn off his thinking whenever he chooses and just zone out. That reminds me of this hilarious clip a friend sent me about the difference between male and female brains. So funny, you should watch it. http://marriageresourcecenter.org/twobrains.htm. Sorry about the tangent... I have to get back to my laundry.

No comments: